Monday, January 7, 2013

26 Acts of Kindness - Day 7

Today's Act of Kindness is in honor of Ana Marquez-Greene, Age 6. Young Ana was said to have a song in her heart and a voice to match it. She came from a musical family and it was evident in everything about her. She never walked - dancing was her preferred mode of transportation. She wrote love notes to her parents - but wouldn't accept kisses from them. Instead she would wait for them to bend over and offer a cheek - she was the one who wanted to be doing the kissing. And she never went anywhere without a flower in her hair, and every photo I saw of her attested to this fact. For her memorial service many of the women wore flowers in their hair in her honor.

Today's was another Act of Kindness where the idea hit me instantly. The execution, on the other hand, was a bit more complicated. 


I decided I would make a dozen or so flower hair clips (which I had learned how to make several years ago) and hand them out to the little dancers where my daughter takes lessons. My time calculations were a bit off though. My work took longer today than I had anticipated, which meant I had less time to make flowers, so I was frantically making them before we had to leave, we ended up being 10 minutes late to class, and I still sat on the floor finishing up several more while my daughter was in class. I am a bit ashamed to admit I was frustrated. Not by the fact that I was doing this Act of Kindness, just that my day hadn't gone as planned... 


But that's life. Things don't go the way we plan. And my flower-making endeavor shouldn't even show up on the not-as-planned radar. 

I did end up finishing enough for all of the girls in class, plus a few spares which we handed out to some other girls in the hallway. We passed them out as the girls were leaving - the class is for 6-8 year olds, so Ana would have fit right in. They were excited to get a prize - they probably didn't know or even care why, but that's fine. 

Their smiles brightened my frazzled spirits and hopefully Ana will smile whenever one of those girls wears a special flower in her hair.
"The flower of kindness will grow. Maybe not now, but it will some day. And in kind that kindness will flow, for kindness grows in this way." -Robert Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment