Wednesday, January 16, 2013

26 Acts of Kindness - Day 16


Today's Act of Kindness honored Jack Pinto, age 6. Though he never had the opportunity to grow into a man, I still think it's fair to call young Jack a man's man. Jack loved sports - whether it was playing them or watching them.

Jack played many sports, including football, baseball and basketball. He also skied and had just began wrestling.

Jack's wrestling coach described him as a tough kid who was respectful and polite. His parents said that he was a vivacious boy, who had a lively and giving spirit paired with steely determination.

He displayed this determination during his last wrestling practice. He was out on the mat practicing when he lost his tooth. He walked up to the coach, handed him the tooth - smiling a now-gapped grin - and went back to the mat to practice. After practice his mom asked him what happened to his tooth he simply replied, "Oh, Coach has it." The wrestlers have now coined the phrase "Pinto Break" for when someone loses a tooth. And that's not the only way the wrestling world honored Jack. The USA Wrestling Federation has renamed the award given during a major international Greco-Roman wrestling competition the "Jack Pinto Cup" in loving memory of their little wrestler.

Jack also loved the NY Giants, and their wide receiver, Victor Cruz, in particular. He was buried in Cruz's jersey, and Cruz paid tribute to Jack during a game the Sunday after his death.

Little Jack was also clearly adored by his best friend. At his funeral sat a photos of the two boys with their arms draped across each other's shoulders and this heartbreaking letter:
"Jack, You are my best friend. We had fun together. I will miss you. I will talk to you in my prayers. I love you Jack. Love, John"
Jack's Act of Kindness seemed to scream sports, and last night I was pondering this and having thoughts of football running through my head. My dear friend, Julie, honored Jack in her Acts of Kindness by donating to a local organization two footballs - one red, one blue - for two best friends to play together. I think her act of kindness was perfection. I racked my brain for an idea of my own.

Today I had to head to the hospital for my MS check-up and figured I could do my act of kindness while I was there. I thought if anyone could use some happiness added to their day it would be someone in the hospital. But what kind of sports-themed Act of Kindness do you do for someone in the hospital?

Let me first say, I'm not a sports fan. If it doesn't involve running insane distances, I really couldn't care less (okay, I don't mind watching soccer, but that's probably because of all the running involved). So I don't really have a lot to base a sports Act of Kindness on. But as I was trying to fall asleep last night my mind landed on something: the movie Rudy. It's a wonderful movie about a determined young man whose love for football and where it took him and his teammates was so touching that I still can't watch the movie without crying. Very fitting for young Jack. And then I thought of The Blind Side as well, another inspiring movie about a young man and where football would take him in his life.

So this morning I rushed over to Target before my appointment and picked up copies of both Rudy and The Blind Side. After my appointment I wrapped the movies in NY Giants colored ribbon and attached my Act of Kindness note to them, and wrote on the back of the note: "For a Football Fan Having a Bad Day. I hope these lift your spirits." I took the movies down to the emergency room and I walked up to the check-in desk.

I told the three ladies at the desk that I wasn't there to check-in, that I was out doing random acts of kindness and I asked them if I could leave the movies on their desk so a football fan might find them and take them home. They were all touched. One of the women told me they have a DVD library at the hospital for people to check out movies and watch them in their rooms, and asked if I would possibly be willing to let them use the movies for that. I told them, of course! Another of the women told me to write down my name and address so they could send me something in return. I hesitated and told them I wasn't doing this in order to get anything in return (other than warm fuzzies!) - but she insisted. She told me that they are so pleased to know that people do good things for the community and that Providence likes to know this as well.

It's kind of fun to see different people's reactions to these acts. Some, like yesterday's, are perplexed and just can't figure out what it is you're doing. And others, like today's are touched and grateful, and some even want to pay back the good deed.

I just hope they pay it forward. Hand-off the kindness to the next player and hopefully we'll all score. For Jack.

"Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you." - Princess Diana

1 comment:

  1. Another "winning" Act of Kindness for Jack Pinto. He was all boy and all little man. These movies are fun and uplifting and I thought please, not Brian's Song -- that's the one I can't sit through without crying...luckily it's old like me and probably not even sold in stores anymore.
    Perhaps with the staff taking down your name/address -- they will write to you when the Kindnesses have been delivered and who got them and how they were received. That would make a nice follow-up.

    Thank you again for sharing your special ideas.

    ReplyDelete